What is the most important thing to remember when creating a blood smear?
What is the most important thing to remember when creating a blood smear? The important thing to do when creating a blood smear is to create a feather edge .
What are the characteristics of a well prepared blood smear?
A well made blood smear. The classic blood smear has a thumb print appearance. A well developed feathered edge is apparent. The dense body of the smear takes up most of the slide and there is a thin counting area which blends with the feathered edge and the dense body.
What are the important precautions in preparing a blood smear?
Precautions to be taken during preparation:
- Angle should be maintained at 45°.
- Blood drop should be of proper size.
- Spreader’s edges should be smooth and it should be smaller than the slide on which smear is being made.
- Pressure applied should be proper.
- Drop should be pulled with spreader not pushed with it.
Why is it important to have a good blood smear?
The test provides information on the number and shape of these cells, which can help doctors diagnose certain blood disorders or other medical conditions. Irregularities in the number or shape of your red blood cells can affect how oxygen travels in your blood.
How can I make my blood smear thicker?
Thick smears consist of a thick layer of dehemoglobinized (lysed) red blood cells (RBCs)….Thick smears
- Place a small drop of blood in the center of the pre-cleaned, labeled slide.
- Using the corner of another slide or an applicator stick, spread the drop in a circular pattern until it is the size of a dime (1.5 cm2).
What adjustment in technique should be done to yield a good smear?
You must push more slowly to ensure that the blood spreads far enough down the slide. Using a larger drop size can help get enough blood to spread the desired two-thirds to three-fourths of the length of the slide. You can also change the angle of the pusher slide.
What are some of the factors that contribute to making a poor blood smear?
Drop of blood too large or too small. Spreader slide pushed across the horizontal slide in a jerky manner. Failure to keep the entire edge of the spreader slide against the horizontal slide while making the smear. Failure in using appropriate angle for the spreader slide.
How can we increase platelets in blood?
8 Things That Can Increase Your Blood Platelet Count
- Eating more leafy greens.
- Eating more fatty fish.
- Increasing folate consumption.
- Avoiding alcohol.
- Eating more citrus.
- Consuming more iron-rich foods.
- Trying a chlorophyll supplement.
- Avoiding vitamin E and fish oil supplements.